Mission and History
We welcome you to the web site of First Cumberland Presbyterian Church, Murfreesboro, Tennessee. We are located at 907 E. Main Street in the beautiful historic district of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. Even though this is a busy street, many people slow down to admire the beautiful architect of the homes and churches,in this National Historic district and are located next to Central Magnet School, which has educated area children for many years.
Our church has ministered in Murfreesboro since 1859. Our first sanctuary was located on the corner of East Main and Spring Street, where now stands the City Hall, and the Reverend John C. Provine was the first pastor. While the people of Murfreesboro worked and sacrificed in order to erect and beautify this temple of God, there hovered over the country the distant rumblings of War. The US Civil War began in April, 1861, only a few years after the church was organized. Early in 1862 the Federals took Nashville, and by the end of the year the Federal troops marched toward Stone's River, just outside of Murfreesboro, where the Confederates had built fortifications. In a bloody battle the Confederates were pushed back, and by January 3, 1863, the Federals were in Murfreesboro. They converted the Cumberland Presbyterian Church into a hospital for the wounded.
After the war the church went through many years of poverty and reconstruction. The church has continually shown trust in God and overcome other decades of struggle. A major fire, World War I, the Great Depression, and World War II were all obstacles that were overcome through faith and perseverance.
The Cumberland Presbyterian Church is a connectional Church - First Cumberland Church is a member of Murfreesboro Presbytery and Tennessee Synod. Our denominational headquarters is located in Memphis, TN. The Cumberland Presbyterian church is also an international church with mission work around the globe. For information about the Cumberland Presbyterian denomination and its government and Confession of Faith, please visit www.cumberland.org.
As a part of the Reformed Body of Churches (Presbyterian), our denomination celebrates more than years of service. We began in 1810 as a response to the repressive doctrine of "double pre-destination" or fatalism and the need for alternative opportunities for education on the frontier for those who would become ministers. We believe that all who choose, who repent, who follow Christ, may be saved - and no other verse of scripture represents our Church more than John 3:16 - "For God so loved the world that He gave His only Son, so that whoever believed in him would have eternal life.
We believe that as part of the body of Christ we are to "Share Christ with the World and invite the World to Christ!" We believe that we should "go deep into the Word and go widely into the World."
We would love to be a part of your spiritual journey and invite you to share with us in ministry to the community for the glory of God.